CARSON JONES TALKS BRIAN ROSE, FIGHTING AT 154 AND RETIREMENT STATEMENT
3RD DECEMBER 2014
Picture by Lawrence Lustig
Exciting American puncher Carson Jones returns to the UK for the fourth time on January 23 and will be hoping to claim a maiden victory in Britain against Brian Rose in Manchester.
The 28 year-old, who initially announced his retirement in the summer, defeated Shannon Miller in September to record his first win since losing badly in a rematch with Kell Brook and has admitted that he doesn't know too much about Blackpool native Rose.
Rose, 29, lost out to Demetrius Andrade on US soil for the WBO light-middleweight title earlier this year and has since returned with an early stoppage before agreeing to fight Jones in the New Year.
"I am very excited to come back to the UK as it's been way too long," Jones told World Boxing News.
"About two years ago, it seemed like I was there every three months and when I announced the fight on my Facebook page I even referred to the UK as my second home. That being said, I know I am the American coming across the pond to fight a guy in his own country and that I will be treated like that by the judges so my plan is to make sure that they are not needed.
"I took this fight against Rose because I believe it is a very winnable fight and a victory will put me right back into the world rankings and the bigger fights will follow.
"I honestly didn't watch too much of his fight with Demetrius Andrade because of the simple fact that Demetrius is a southpaw. All I know is that he was stopped, but watching that tape wouldn't really be too beneficial for me."
Predominantly operating at 147lbs in recent years, Jones will now look to claim the WBC International title at the weigh-class above and confirmed to WBN that he will be concentrating on fighting at 154 for now.
"The way I see it I have to focus on January 23rd and that fight is at 154 pounds. It would be really tough for me to make 147 I think, but you never know. At this point I'm following the dollar signs," he said.
Asked about his reasons for making public his decision to retire at just 27, before fighting again just one month later, Jones added: "Well I'll tell you this I've learned my lesson about posting things I don't mean out of frustration because people will take it and just run with it.
"The day I said I retired I was just really, really frustrated with myself and with boxing. Since then I have sat down and thought about it with my family to figure out what changes I need to make in order to be successful and now were here.
"That all starts with January 23rd as a win here changes everything. I will do whatever it takes to come out with the victory and put my name back in the mix.
"I'd like to add a thank you to all the fans in the UK as they have stayed loyal even when I have been defeated, and without them I'm sure I wouldn't be getting the opportunities that I get over there," concluded Jones.
Top of the bill at the Phones 4U Arena is Anthony Crolla's WBA lightweight championship challenge against dangerous Cuban Richard Abril, with more bouts to be added to the card in the near future.